Tips and Tools for Employers
Show You Care
Help manage health care costs by adding a CDC-recognized Diabetes Prevention Program (a lifestyle change program) as a covered health benefit. Prediabetes and type 2 diabetes are growing concerns for America’s workforce, affecting the health and quality of life of millions of U.S. adults and costing employers and insurers billions of dollars each year in lost productivity and medical expenses. Lifestyle change programs teach healthy eating and physical activity as a way of achieving better health. Workers and employers benefit from the outcomes. Visit CDC’s Join the Movement! Act Now! for a link to recognized lifestyle change programs and strategies to help your employees prevent type 2 diabetes.
- AADE Diabetes Prevention and Prediabetes — Prediabetes and the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program
- CDC Diabetes Prevention Impact Toolkit — Select your population characteristics and a diabetes risk group to participate in the program.
- Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes — You can help your employees or members prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Join the Movement! Act Now! — Learn how you can get involved today.
- Join Your Peers – Lead the Way — Many employers and insurers already offer CDC-recognized lifestyle change programs to prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Manage Costs — Offering CDC-recognized diabetes prevention lifestyle change programs has financial benefits, as well as health benefits.
- NACDD National DPP Coverage Toolkit for Employers — Employers can provide health insurance coverage for their employees through a variety of methods.
- Offer Programs as a Covered Benefit — Diabetes prevention lifestyle change programs can be an important piece of any health plan.
- Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Affect Your Workforce — Learn why prediabetes and type 2 diabetes are a concern for employers and insurers.
- What is Prediabetes? — Learn what prediabetes is and get the facts on how it is impacting North Carolinians.
- Note: If you are considering implementing a lifestyle change program, visit Implement a Lifestyle Change Program.
Calculate your potential medical costs savings from providing the Diabetes Prevention Program as a covered benefit. Click here.
Halifax County Health Department
Halifax County partnered with the Halifax County Wellness Program who supplied incentives for the DPP. The Halifax County DPP worked with the county manager to allow the county employees that participate in DPP to use the first work hour of their day (8:30am – 9:30am) to participate. In partnering with the county wellness program, the DPP was able to offer participants weekly door prizes and funded a practical application field trip to Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, where the participants were able to use the skills they learned in class in real life! They also held Zumba fitness classes, in which the lifestyle coach, who is also a licensed Zumba instructor, led the participants in a low intensity workout. Halifax County started with 11 participants and finished with nine with an 82% completion rate.
Click here to read more success stories.