You can register to attend the 12-month program in either an onsite or online format. You will participate in the ENTIRE program in the format that you select at the time of registration.
The onsite program is offered in selected counties across North Carolina through providers that have been recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and are located in your community, oftentimes in YMCAs or local health department facilities. Most classes follow a group format that includes some discussion and physical activity.
Eat Smart, Move More, Prevent Diabetes is an online program that is delivered using synchronous distance-education technology. This means that the classes are delivered in a real-time, online format, so the participants see and hear their instructor in a live session and interact with their instructor and other class participants during the session. Participants receive support during each interactive session from the instructor and other participants, and outside of the sessions through individual online or electronic feedback from the instructor.
The cost of the 12-month program is $429 for onsite classes and $449 for online classes.
State Health Plan Members: Diabetes prevention programs are no longer paid for by the NC State Health Plan for Teachers and State Employees, which is managed by the NC Department of State Treasurer. For questions and concerns, please contact these offices directly. If you have an NC Flex account, you may be able to use it to get reimbursed for a diabetes prevention program. Click here to see details.
- Do you know your A1c?
- If you know your A1c score, you will be asked to enter it during registration. However, you do not have to know your A1c to register.
- Were you diagnosed with gestational diabetes?
- If you were diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you automatically qualify for this program.
- Have you taken the CDC Prediabetes Screening Quiz?
- This short screening is an easy way to see what your risk of prediabetes might be.