Learn About Prediabetes
Prediabetes is when blood glucose (sugar) levels in your blood are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed with diabetes.
The National Diabetes Prevention Program is a 12-month lifestyle change program available in North Carolina for adults with prediabetes or at high risk for type 2 diabetes who want to lower their risk.
Each lesson includes simple steps that you can take to eat healthy and be active.
You will leave each lesson feeling empowered and motivated to make changes in your life to prevent diabetes.
Take the Prediabetes Risk Test
Call the DPP Navigator team if you have questions or need assistance with finding a program
Diabetes Prevention Programs
During the 12-month program you will:
Work with a trained lifestyle coach
Receive support from others working on the same goals as you
Be empowered to make healthy eating and physical activity choices
Achieve and maintain a healthy weight
Identify ways to manage stress
Implement strategies to stay motivated
Learn how to reduce your risk for developing type 2 diabetes
Attend classes either in-person or online
To help you reach your healthy lifestyle goals, you will learn about:
- The basics of type 2 diabetes
- Setting goals and plan basic actions
- Balancing food groups and making healthy eating choices
- Ways to get more active
- Taking a positive approach to eating
- How to get back on track with heating and activity goals
- How to keep your heart healthy
- The link between carbs and type 2 diabetes
Risk factors for prediabetes include:
- being age 45 years or older
- being overweight
- having a family history of type 2 diabetes
- having high blood pressure
- leading a sedentary lifestyle
- having had gestational diabetes or given birth to a baby over 9 pounds
If you have prediabetes this does not mean that you WILL develop type 2 diabetes. YOU can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by losing weight, becoming more physically active, and reducing stress.
Take the test to determine your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, it’s only a few questions: Risk Test.
Example of Onsite Program
Example of Online Program